As to how and why this happened, rest assured there will be a full investigation. Eventually, the “lessons learned” from the tragedy will be published. But that will take months, possibly years.
You could wait to learn those lessons, or you could figure some of them out on your own. Often, they’re obvious.
Found in a separate news report on the incident are three warning flags that reveal important lessons for anyone working around any kind of hazards:
- The work being done: “routine maintenance”
- There was “equipment failure”
- Both of the two “fell from the bucket of the truck”
- Beware of complacency that comes from performing routine work.
- Inspect equipment before putting it in service.
- Always follow the fall protection procedure.